Roles on Defense
Learn more about defensive operators’ roles in Rainbow Six Siege!
Some operators are assigned to couple roles as their playstyle is fluid.
- an overview of what can be expected when playing on the offensive side and facing a defensive team with certain operators
- an understanding of defending operators’ strengths
- the notion of which operator to play in case a specific playstyle is your preference.
- desired playstyle
- details on the utility and how to use it
- counters and synergies
- preferred loadout selection
Defensive Roles in R6
- limit number of entry points to the objective
- disable lines of sight that defenders can be shot from
- allow defenders to keep their preferred position
The only Hard breacher who is not countered by Breach Denial is Maverick.
Selecting Breach Denial defender(s) should be your team’s main priority for sites where opening an objective wall gives attackers a significant advantage. This is the case with most of the sites in R6 Siege, but mainly with objectives where attackers can access it directly from outside of the building.
- His Shock batteries electrify reinforced walls. Utility placed on such a wall (like Exothermic charges) is permanently destroyed.
Bandit can “Bandit trick” wall, which makes him superior from the breach denial perspective on walls.
His jammers block breaching utility within an effective radius from detonation. Breaching utility is not destroyed but jammed for as long as jammer remains active.
- Kaid’s Electroclaw is throwable, making him the only breach denial defender with a possibility to prevent the opening of hatches. Besides specific locations where Mute jammer is capable of impacting hatch breaching. Similarly to Bandit, Kaid’s gadget electrifies objects. The main difference being activation time needed for Electroclaw to be effective – prevents “Bandit tricking” with Kaid.
However, defenders in this group can make droning more challenging by either disabling, capturing, or even capturing drones (only Mozzie).
A recent addition to Rainbow Six Siege roster, Mozzie is specialized in denying access to drones and even capturing them!
Once a drone is captured, Mozzie can utilize like it just like attackers would.
The most intel-denial oriented defender from those operators who are also categorized as Breach denial.
Mute’s jammers impact drones within its effective range. This characteristic allows him to jam drones even through surfaces when placed correctly in the right circumstances.
Not his main priority, but Bandit can permanently destroy drones that touch surfaces or utility electrified by his Shock wires. Usually, his intel denial comes from combining Shock wires with Barbed wires.
Just like Bandit, Kaid is not usually focusing on denying access to drones but is certainly capable of doing so. Benefit over Bandit in drone destruction is the range of Rtilla. In specific locations, Kaid can electrify both wall and Barbed wire.
- deal with utility by expanding their own gadgets
- put themselves at risk to advance
- waste time
- or choose a different route
- Equipped with two one-way mirrors, which allow a defender to see from their side attackers without being seen.
The introduction of Mira in Y2 completely revolutionized defensive tactics for many objectives. Mira is one of the most useful operators on the defensive side and my top pick for area denial operators.
- He is a top-rated operator with the ability to delay access to the area or prevent completing an objective by attackers for a whole 30 seconds.
The Smoke has an extremely high pick rate in Pro league ever since Y1S1. He is a difficult operator to use correctly, but when played correctly, he can tip the scales on defenders’ favor during late-round objective pushes.
Equipped with 2 Volcan shields which are deployable shields with the addition of explosive canister attached to them.
An explosion of canister releases fire that spreads over a vast area.
Goyo can backfire defenders if used wrongly as the fire burns both attacking and defensive teams.
A powerful 3-speed defender with access to 3 Banshee devices that slow down and disturb audio of attackers within its range.
Melusi is great at entry point denial.
- Able to deny access or angles with 3 Armored Panels, which can be placed in windows and doorways.Castle requires a specific plan to benefit the defensive team.
Not recommended for inexperienced players due to the possibility of hindering defenders more than impacting attackers.
- Ye, well… Here comes Lord’s utility supposed role. If I really, but like really, have to put Tachanka in any of the groups beside the “Saviour,” then area denial is that group.
Tachanka has access to the turret which could allow him to lockdown areas, especially narrow corridors or entry points where flanking turret is difficult/impossible.Furthermore, the turret has a shield on the upper side, which protects the head of its user, for a maximum of 500hp. Once the HP limit has been reached, shield breaks, leaving the operator vulnerable.In reality, I do not recommend using Tachanka unless you are trolling or messing around. Nature of his utility makes the user immobilized, which is a death sentence in Rainbow Six Siege.
- Supplied with 3 Black Eye cameras, Valkyrie is an excellent pick to provide intel, both inside or outside the building. The ability to throw cameras outside of the building gives her a lot of flexibility and encourages creativity.
- He has access to two drones, which can be used for multiple purposes. From the intel-gathering perspective, Echo’s utility is excellent for aiding both roamers and anchors.
Yokai drones can be viewed by teammates. Echo can move drones anytime, and they are camouflaged when attached to the ceiling.
- Evil eyes serve similar purpose to Echo’s drones.The main difference is the lack of mobility of utility once placed. The upside of Evil eyes is endurance: cannot be destroyed by just bullets (unless used to “zap” attackers). Best used at or close to the objective site.
On top of that, Evil eyes see through the smoke!
Armed with a Cardiac scanner, Pulse is capable of identifying an enemy’s presence within 9 meters, without a need for a clear line of sight.He operates very differently from other intel-gathering operators available on the defensive end. Pulse’s utility is active, hence to bring benefit to the defensive team he has to stay alive and use scanner actively.
Extremely useful when vertical play can be utilized (has access to C4).
- Her 3 Prismas can provide intel to defenders about the enemy’s presence. Alibi requires attackers to shoot her hologram.
Not the best tool available to defenders when it comes to gathering intel. Frequently used more to confuse the enemy and force them to hesitate before shooting.
MelusiBesides area denial, Melusi’s gadget serves as an intel-gathering tool as it provides the enemy’s location due to audio cue – similar to proximity alarm.
The only defender with a shield. Clash is mainly used for intel-gathering due to the limitation of a lack of firepower with a shield equipped.
His unique utility allows him to steal attackers’ drones, which as a result adds them to the pull of surveillance tools at defenders’ disposal.
A specific operator who can see through the smoke when standing still. Therefore, making him the Glaz of the defense. Warden is also capable of countering flashes from Blitz, Ying and Stun grenades.
- Her main function is a Dedicated roamer. However, besides Silent steps, she can also interrogate downed attacker revealing the live location for 10 seconds. Interrogation is a high-risk high-reward type of play which can turn the tide of the round.
Every trapper works differently and provides a different type of benefit. Some of the traps hinder impacted attacker, while other damage them, down or even kill a trapped player.
- Equipped with Gu mines that when stepped on:
- slow down
- indicate the position of an impacted attacker
Lesion mines generate over time. He starts with 1 mine and gets a new one every 30th second, with a maximum of 8 Gu mines.
Has access to 3 Welcome mats, downing attacker stepping into them. Best used behind windows, forcing an attacker to aim and shoot map while vaulting (or using explosives) or risking being trapped.
Armed with 5 EDD traps that can be placed in doorways as well as windows. Damages crossing attacker for base 60 damage (medium armor 51 and heavy operators for 45 HP), while also making a loud blast.
When placed correctly, EDD can deal with late-round pushes or with preventing rushes. In late-round situations, attackers do not have time to pay attention to traps.
- Supplied with 3 Grzmot mines which disorient impacted attacker, giving advantage in firefights to the defensive team.Provides also with intel about incoming attackers and stops an attacker from completing started action (i.e., planting defuser)
Roamers are an essential aspect of defending in Rainbow Six Siege. They waste attackers’ time and do not let them feel comfortable focusing solely on the objective until roamers are dealt with.
- She is the sneakiest defender in R6 Siege. Her utility comprises of two unique gameplay mechanics: Silent steps and interrogation.
The Silent step makes her almost inaudible for 10 seconds. Additionally, footsteps left during the Silent step are invisible to Jackal’s Eyenox.Interrogation is an animation for finishing downed attackers, after which the remaining opponents’ position is revealed to all defenders for 10 seconds.
Caveira requires advanced map knowledge and experience to be played correctly.
- Equipped with ERC-7, Vigil can disappear from video feeds of drones and cameras for a maximum duration of 12 seconds (with max 6 seconds recharge).ERC-7 is excellent at countering droning to deny precise intel about Vigil’s presence. This forces attackers to either “face check” or waste time.
The opposite of Caveira, Oryx is a roamer who is not really concerned about being sneaky. Instead, he is able to traverse the map in a quick fashion, thanks to his Remah Dash ability.
Not only that, but Saif is also capable of climbing hatches – adds an entirely new layer to flanking in Rainbow Six Siege!
- Helps the team by placing his ADS where attackers are expected to throw grenades (and other throwables like candelas) and to secure anchors position. Jäger is one of the most picked defenders thorough the pro league’s history.
Preventing a smoke advance, stun grenade/Candela rush or frag grenades from killing anchors can be a game-changer.
- Similarly to Jager, Wamai helps the team by interacting with the attacker’s throwables.
Wamai’s Mag-net impacts Capitao’s bolts, unlike ADS.
- He buffs all teammates who pick up his armor plates by increasing their damage reduction by 20% and guaranteeing downed status instead of death (exception: headshots).
A great operator for new players as using his utility from a gameplay perspective is as simple as it gets.
- Equipped with 3 stim pistol shots, which let Doc heal himself or teammates for 40hp. Operators can be overhealed up to 140hp.Only defensive healer in Rainbow Six Siege. His ability makes him the most durable defender in the game.Additionally, Doc can “revive” downed (but not dead) operators from range, as long as he has a line of sight on the operator.