Roles on Attack
Learn more about attacking operators’ roles in R6 Siege!
Some operators are assigned to couple roles as their playstyle is fluid.
- an overview of what can be expected when playing defensive side and facing an attacking team with certain operators
- an understanding of attacking operators’ strengths
- the notion of which operator to play in case-specific playstyle is your preference.
- desired playstyle
- details on the utility and how to use it
- counters and synergies
- preferred loadout selection
Attacking Roles in R6
- increase number of entry points to the objective
- create new lines of sight that defenders can be shot from
- force defenders away from their preferred position
- Superior for reinforced walls. Thermite is the staple of successful attacking teams where entering objective through the wall is preferred option (in most scenarios, it is)
Requires melee range to plant charges putting him at risk in certain situations.
Ranged hard breacher who specializes in reinforced hatches. A preferred choice for dealing with Mira windows.
Best in creating murder holes. Not recommended for opening holes used for other reasons due to limitations of his utility.
HARD BREACH support
A reliable counter to Breach Denial. Kali is an excellent sniper and provides great team-oriented utility.
Not as reliable as Thatcher. Twitch is still an excellent counter to anti-breaching devices, but in most cases, defenders can counter her Shock drones.
- Flores offers support utility in form of remote drones that can be used as explosives. Destroys almost any defensive unique and universal gadgets, such as breach denial, shields, Banshees, etc.
Year3 addition to attackers cast has drastically changed the game from a breaching perspective. Maverick is an excellent counter to Mute and Bandit as both gadgets can not counter him. Both devices can be settled only on the bottom of the wall (unlike Kaid’s Electroclaw), which makes a prediction of gadget placement easier for Maverick.
IQSignificantly less reliable than the above operators due to the nature of her utility. IQ requires either line of sight on a device or penetrable surface to be able to shoot it. Otherwise, she is only intel gathering about gadgets location, without the ability to disable defensive utility herself.
Situational Hard breach support:
- unreinforced walls
- partially destructible ceilings & floors
- focus on more angles than optimal
- move from their preferred position
- or risk getting killed by attackers
The best soft breaching potential in Rainbow Six Siege due to the ability to breach from above and below, with high ammo count on the Skeleton key.
A large number of breaching usage (24), but with limited to melee range of his hammer. Great for objectives with partially destructible ceilings (basements)
Both ladies are capable of supporting the team with breaching of destructible and partially destructible surfaces. They are, however, limited in the number of breaches they can achieve – 2 ranged with their unique gadgets and optional 3 breaching charges.
The ultimate entry fragger since day 1 of Rainbow Six Siege.
Basically: 3 speed, great gun, and utility for opening new angles
As similar to Ash as an operator can get. Differences being: 2 speed, lifelines (instead of stun grenades) confirming the enemy’s presence in a specific area. M762 has greater damage per bullet in optimal range than R4-C of Ash, but a lower rate of fire (730 vs. 860), and I personally find its recoil odd to control.
- A 2-speed operator, with 2 good guns available – C7E & PDW9.Able to track defenders by scanning footsteps left by enemies.His utility supports entry fragging greatly and hunting roamers as it points to the exact defender location in 5 seconds intervals.Jackal can also identify whether any roamer is present by seeing where did enemy go.
- Buck has a powerful but difficult-to-control weapon – C8.
On top of that, Buck is capable of using his unique utility as a shotgun in close-range encounters. As the cherry on top, he can create new angles and avenues with ease.
Despite being a handy operator from a utility destruction perspective, IQ is excellent at entry fragging she has 3 good weapons. Furthermore, IQ is a 3-speed operator, which allows her to take control of the map swiftly.
F2 – enough said. One of the best, if not the best, guns in Rainbow Six Siege.
1vs1 close range God. Once he manages to isolate and close the gap on a defender, it’s over.
However, Blitz struggles when exposed to multiple defenders and angles.
Fast operator, with an excellent weapon – M4 – Maverick is a fantastic choice for entry fragging. Unique utility rewards creativity and allows him to create unusual angles.
Good weapons and unique utility that help with flanks. Airjabs allow to either prevent the flank, make it harder, or at the very least eliminate the surprise aspect of the flank. Nomad is a great choice for entry fragger.
A good pick if you prefer a stealthy approach thanks to being invisible to cameras and silent movement. Nokk specializes in sneaking up on roamers and limiting defensive intel
Her Surge buffs the entire team thus giving an edge over enemies, which helps winning gunfights. Finka has access to decent weapons, with LMG combining very well with her unique utility.
Can’t speak about getting early map control without mentioning Amaru. Her Garra hook is a great tool to get to the objective extremely quickly, thus either dying in the first few seconds of the match or surprising defenders with attacking presence in places they would not expect (at that stage of the round)
Disrupts anything defenders were doing (rotating, flanking or plant denial) by forcing defenders to stand still for the duration of his EDD or to give away live information about their exact location
Forces defenders to either answer their phone (risking being killed during animation) or to ignore a phone call, giving away audio cue. Such cue provides information about their location and lowers their own ability to recognize game audio.
When played correctly, Montagne can be an extremely disruptive operator. He forces defenders to decide to either ignore him (giving him a possibility to kill them) or to focus on Montagne (allowing teammates to eliminate a defender)
A recent addition to attackers line-up is a walking flank sensor. Nomad disrupts both roamers attempting to surprise unexpecting attackers, as well as defenders attempting to rotate either on an objective site or away from it.
Great at disrupting fortified defenders and preventing certain rotations for the duration of his firebolts. Additionally, he can prevent plant denial by obscuring view with smoke bolts.
His disruptive capability may be situational as it requires a surface between him and defenders, on which he can plant charges to be effective. Nonetheless, Fuze is a significant disruption to anchors by forcing them to relocate, which leaves them defenseless if appropriately coordinated.
- Disrupts the ability to hold an angle and occupy a specific area for an affected defender. His pings force the defender to move constantly or risk being killed quickly.
His RCE-RETERO drones can push fortified defenders off their preferred spots. Such spots are often strong positions behind deployable shields.
Forces an enemy to choose between getting exposed while relocating or being killed by the drone’s explosion.
- Blackbeard counters a crucial aspect of winning gunfights in Rainbow Six Siege – headshots.He has been nerfed multiple times, but his shields still provide him an advantage over defenders in 1vs1 gunfights.
Nonetheless, Blackbeard is a formidable foe when placed in the area where only his head is exposed to defenders (i.e. windows)
The only offensive operator in Rainbow Six Siege who can see through smoke. Prevents defenders from peeking, rotating, or pushing during smoke duration or forces defenders to put themselves at a severe disadvantage while doing so.
- Offers 3 Trax Stingers that once deployed cover a vast area to prevent defenders’ movement. She can be used to cut off rotations, prevent flanks or defuser retake.
From two main Area denial attackers, Gridlock is more obvious with her traps but much better for objective push and site control.
The best Flank watch supporting attacker in Rainbow Six Siege. Repulsion grenades can be extremely hard to deal with when placed correctly. Additionally, Nomad can help the team with controlling the objective and cutting off rotations.
Roamers’ biggest nightmare. Jackal is probably the most powerful intel-gatherer on the attack in Rainbow Six Siege. Eyenox provides pings of scanned defenders every 5th seconds.
Her logic bomb provides an audio cue about the defenders’ location. Useful to the entire team. On top of that, Dokkaebi can hack the defenders’ surveillance system, thus providing additional intel-gathering tools to the attacking squad.
- Not as powerful as he once was, Lion still can get the intel-gathering job done. His drone forces defenders to stand still temporarily or give away their position with frequent pings.
Lion requires coordination within the team to be effective.
MontagneShield operator frequently used as a virtually indestructible drone.
Montagne is used for gathering intel about both the enemies’ location and gadgets placement.
IQ is capable of identifying defenders’ locations. However, it is only applicable when defenders are on their phones (checking camera or operating remote gadgets) and when Dokkaebi’s logic bomb is active.
On top of that, IQ is capable of identifying the Pulse’s location, but only when the Pulse uses his Cardiac sensor actively.
The most reliable intel-gathering function IQ fulfills is locating defensive utility.
Iana is able to deploy a hologram that is an exact copy of her image. The hologram can be remotely controlled by Iana, giving her the ability to scout the terrain, for both herself and the team.
On top of that, she can create a distraction, as well as bait enemies.
Zero joined the Rainbow Six Siege roster with access to cameras that can be placed almost anywhere.
Thus, he is a great choice for Valkyrie mains.
Less popular than we expected and somehow underutilized operator.